Friday, June 19, 2020

Friday Fanfic

Buffy the Dragon Slayer

(An obvious continuation of last week's story.)

Chapter Nine-Gamma

"Run and catch," said Messalina in a singsong voice. "The lamb is caught in the blackberry patch."

"Excuse me, but do you really have to keep singing that song?" asked Buffy as she sipped her tea.

"I'm sorry, Buffy," said Messalina. "I just sing it because it reminds me of my dead mother."

"Your dead mothe -- Oh, I'm sorry," said Buffy. "Please go ahead. If you don't mind me saying, how did she die?"

"Well, as a matter of fact, I do mind you asking," said Messalina. "But I'll answer your question anyway. She died of natural causes."

"Natural causes?" asked Buffy.

"Yes," said Messalina. "One of my suitors disagreed with her so naturally she died."

"Wait!" said Buffy. "You mean she was killed?"

Messalina nodded.

"You poor thing," said Buffy. "You must miss her very much."

"Well, we all got to go sometime," said Messalina. "Don't you miss your mother?"

"Not really, but then she's still alive," said Buffy.

Then she realized how that sounded and said, "Sorry. I didn't mean to be flip. You see, my mother and I get along okay now but then I don't see her much anymore. When I first got my powers, we used to fight all the time. In fact, she once even called an exorcist on me."

"An exorcist?" said Messalina, perking up. "You mean she thought you were evil?"

"Well, for a while she did," said Buffy. "But then the Watchers Council discovered me and convinced her to let me go into service as a dragon slayer."

"My mother used to think I was evil too," said Messalina. "She never said so out loud but every so often I'd catch her looking at me in a certain way. You see, I'd have these visions..."

"You have visions?" asked Buffy. "Of the future?"

"Yes," said Messalina.

"Could you tell me my future?" asked Buffy.

"I'm not sure that would be wise," said Messalina.

"Please," said Buffy.

"Okay, you're going to go out and fight this dragon and end up becoming every bit as famous as Niccola Wood," said Messalina.

"I know you mentioned her earlier but I have to ask -- who's Niccola Wood?" said Buffy. "Apart from being this dragon slayer that you used to know."

"Niccola Wood is -- well, on second thought, you're obviously going to be more famous than Niccola Wood," said Messalina. "In fact, I foresee a bright future for you, Buffy."

"Really?" asked Buffy.

"Really," said Messalina. "If you don't believe me, just stare into my eyes."

"What am I supposed to see?" asked Buffy.

"Whatever you wish," said Messalina. "But in this case, glory. The glory you will achieve after you go out there after that dragon. By the way, do you know a person named Sister Jessica Calendar?"

"Why, yes," said Buffy. "That was the name of one of my former tutors. She used to be one of the few people in my life who was kind to me."

"Well, Sister Jessica says hi and looks forward to meeting you soon," said Messalina.

"Don't be silly," said Buffy. "Sister Jessica is dead. She died several years ago. You must be making a joke."

"Yes, that's what it is," said Messalina. "A joke. Now let's get you ready to fight that dragon."

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment