Friday, July 24, 2020

Friday Fanfic

Buffy the Dragon Slayer

(An obvious continuation of last week's story)

Chapter Fourteen-Alpha

When Buffy first opened her eyes, she was a bit surprised to realize she was still alive. She ached all over but she was still alive.

And she was still a dragon. Okay.

And there was an upside-down woman staring at her. A woman who was roughly her age but wore a mask and two odd things on her wrists that looked like bracelets or something. The woman was hanging from a tree branch and staring at Buffy in the oddest way. Though considering the way she was dressed, it would have been quite hard for her to stare at Buffy in a normal way.

"Where am I?" asked Buffy, seeing nothing around her except for trees and bushes.

"It talks," said the upside-down woman.

"Of course, I talk," said Buffy. "Why shouldn't I?"

"Because you're a dragon, silly," said the woman.

"No, I'm not," said Buffy. "I'm -- Oh, right. I am a dragon. But only temporarily."

"Sure, sure," said the woman. "What brings you here, Miss Dragon?"

"My name is not Miss Dragon," said Buffy. "It's Buffy."

"Buffy's a weird name for a dragon," said the woman.

"I'm not really a drag -- Hey, what's your name?" asked Buffy.

"Eve!" exclaimed the woman.

"Okay," said Buffy. "How did you get here?"

"Easy," said Eve. "I live here."

"Why are you living in the woods?" asked Buffy.

"Why shouldn't I live in the woods?" asked Eve.

"Well, it just seems a bit unusual," said Buffy,

"Says the talking dragon," said Eve.

"Okay, I deserve that," said Buffy. "Anyway, I need to get out of here. Is there any chance you can show me the way out of these woods?"

"I suppose so," said Eve. "But why the hurry?"

"I have to go rescue a village from a great big dragon," said Buffy.

"Isn't that kind of a weird thing for a dragon to do?" asked Eve.

"I'm not really a dragon," said Buffy. "I'm really a dragon slayer. But some witch turned me into a dragon so that I could fight a bigger dragon."

"I get the feeling that plan did not work out all that well,"said Eve.

"That's a good way to put it," said Buffy. "Now can you help me?"

xxx

Laurel had no idea how long she had been sleeping but she suddenly found herself waking up in the middle of the evening in a strange bedroom. Judging from the figure lying beside her, it was Tierra's bedroom and they had apparently done far more than gather up lost towels.

No matter. One thought kept racing through her mind and it had nothing to do with Tierra: What about Jamie?

Laurel had promised Buffy that she would look after Jamie and here she was, literally sleeping on the job. Granted, you don't meet a girl like Tierra every day and if things had been less serious, Laurel liked to think that Buffy would understand.

But, no, Laurel had to check on Jamie. Now. If it was not too late.

Then she heard the sound of a dragon's roar outside the window of the room -- and Laurel realized that it might already be too late.

"Please let Jamie be okay," she chanted as she hurriedly dressed. "Please let Jamie be okay."

Just then Tierra woke up. "Jamie!" she exclaimed.

Before Laurel could say anything, Tierra was already running out of her bedroom and heading for the stairs.

Laurel just shrugged and followed, hoping against hope that it was not too late to help Jamie.

When she walked out the front door of the Violet Moon, she saw Jamie standing out in the street, staring at the sky with a frozen expression. Laurel turned to see what Jamie was looking at and noticed a small dragon flying toward them at ever-increasing speed. A dragon that looked like Buffy -- but obviously wasn't Buffy. Buffy's dragon skin was not that color and her wings were not that large and -- Oh, Great Goddess! It looked like this dragon was going to kill Jamie!

Laurel immediately leaped upon Jamie and brought her down to the ground just as the dragon let loose a torrent of flame in Jamie's direction. Laurel closed her eyes and prayed to every entity she could think of.

Buffy, she thought, I know I fucked up. But I did try my best to save Jamie. It's not my fault I failed.

Then Laurel realized that neither she nor Jamie was on fire. That they both had somehow been spared from the flames and that right then the dragon who had attacked them was flying off to seek new prey.

"Get off of me, Laurel," said Jamie, and Laurel hurriedly got off Jamie, still wondering how the heck they got spared from death.

Then she heard Tierra's voice speak from behind her, "I'm flattered that you trust me to always have your back, Jamie, but Good Goddess, girlfriend! You really do like to cut things close!"

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment