Friday, January 24, 2020

Fanfic Friday

“The Huntress at Sunset”

A continuation from last week's chapter.

Chapter Two

When Alondra walked into the house, she noticed that almost nothing had changed. Everything was clean and dust-free.

"I have a girl come in twice a week to clean," said Persephone. "She does a pretty good job as far as I can tell."

"Where did you get the money, Persephone?" asked Alondra.

Persephone smiled without showing her fangs. "Investments."

Then Persephone said, "Now it's my turn to ask you a question, Huntress. Why are you here?"

"I told you," said Alondra. "To visit my parents' house."

"No," said Persephone. "Why are you really here?"

"Because I was feeling nostalgic," said Alondra.

"And why were you feeling nostalgic, Huntress?" asked Persephone.

"No reason," said Alondra.

"There's always a reason for the things you do, Alondra," said Persephone. "What is it?"

"It's personal," said Alondra.

"A death in the family, perhaps?" asked Persephone.

"No, of course not," said Alondra quite hastily.

"Your sister ill?" asked Persephone.

"No, she's well," replied Alondra.

"Your niece Grace?" asked Persephone.

"No, she's fine," said Alondra. "Everyone in my family is fine. And all my friends are fine too."

"But you aren't," said Persephone. It wasn't a question.

"I don't know what you mean," said Alondra.

"You don't think that I -- of all people -- can recognize the scent of death when I smell it?" asked Persephone.

"You must be mistaken," said Alondra.

"I'm quite sure I'm not," said Persephone. "How long did the doctors give you? One year? Two? Three?"

"A year," replied Alondra.

"And you think I can cure you?" asked Persephone.

"Can you?" asked Alondra with a desperate tone in her voice.

"No, of course not," said Persephone. "But I can give you what you came for."

"No, that's not necessary," said Alondra. "I didn't come for that anyway."

"Don't give me that, Huntress," said Persephone. "We both know why you came here and we both know what you want."

"But I'm not ready right now," said Alondra. "I just know that I don't want to die."

"None of us do," said Persephone. "And yet we do anyway. Even I will die again some day. But that day of course will be a long way off in the future."

"Will it -- will it hurt?" asked Alondra.

"A little," said Persephone. "But in the end it will be like going to sleep. You'll feel like a new person when you finally wake up."

"That's what I'm afraid of," said Alondra.

"You?" asked Persephone. "Afraid? Perish the thought, Huntress. You are never afraid."

"I kinda wish you'd stop telling me how I feel, Persephone," said Alondra. "I realize now that coming here was a mistake. You're never going to say yes and I'm not sure I'm ready to become like you anyway."

"Who said I was never going to say yes?" asked Persephone. "Are you putting words into my mouth, Huntress?"

"No," said Alondra. "But you just said --"

"I say a lot of things, Huntress," said Persephone. "Not all of them are true. Anyway, you're dying and I'm immortal. I can help you become immortal as well but I'd advise you to think about it first. Go home, talk it over with your family and your friends, and if you still want to cross over and become like me, then come back here in a month and I'll turn you."

"Why a month?" asked Alondra. "Why not now?"

"You're not ready now," said Persephone. "And even if you were ready, it would only be fair to let you become prepared for the way things will change in your life once you become like me."

"Prepared?" asked Alondra.

"Yes, prepared," said Persephone. "I was drafted into this life. You are choosing to enlist voluntarily. Not everyone in your life right now will like that. Also you used to kill my kind for a living. That means that you cannot expect to be Miss Popularity once you cross over because there are many of my kind who will kill you on sight. Am I making myself clear, Huntress?"

"Crystal," said Alondra.

"Good," said Persephone. "Then this conversation is over. For now, at least. I expect to see you back here in a month, regardless of whether your answer is yes or whether your answer is no. If not, I'll come find you and I am very good at tracking down people, Huntress."

"No need to threaten me, Persephone," said Alondra. "I get your point."

"Do you?" asked Persephone. "Very well. Come back to me in a month and tell me how open-minded your friends and family are about your decision. I suspect you'll find quite a few surprises once you start talking to them about it. After all, not everyone in this world is as open-minded as myself."

"Whatever," said Alondra.

And with that, she left.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment