Friday, February 7, 2020

Fanfic Friday

“The Huntress at Sunset”

A continuation from last week's chapter.

Chapter Four

Alondra was still steaming about her sister's response when she got to the cemetery. Once there, she took a moment to calm down so that her best friend Laurel would not sense anything amiss.

Not that Laurel was likely to be all that alert today. After all, today was the anniversary of her late girlfriend's death and though Laurel had dated many women since then, she still made time to visit her girlfriend's grave at least once a year if not more often.

And yet...

"Hi, Alondra," said Laurel. "I didn't really expect to see you here today."

"I know," said Alondra, suddenly feeling quite awkward. "I always meant to drop by because, hey, I miss her too, but for some reason..."

Laurel suddenly stopped smiling. "You didn't come here to see Teresa, did you?"

"Yes, I did," said Alondra. "I know she was your girlfriend but she was my friend too and --"

"And yet you never seem to find the time to come here till today," said Laurel. "It's okay, Alondra. I get it. I remember what you were like when your mom died. She was very special to us too and she still is. I can't imagine what it was like to be in your shoes that day and so I don't blame you for being less than eager to visit yet another person's grave. But something's wrong. I can sense it. You didn't just come here to pay your respects to Teresa, so for her sake, if not mine, be honest. Why are you really here?"

"I'm dying," said Alondra.

"I see," said Laurel. "What of?"

Alondra told her.

Laurel was silent for a while. Then nodded.

"I'm sorry, Alondra," said Laurel. "Very sorry. I wish I knew of a cure for that, but I don't."

"It's okay," said Alondra. "I got a plan. You see, I was talking to Persephone and --"

"Persephone?" asked Laurel. "Why were you talking to her?"

"Because she knows of a way to save me," said Alondra. "You see --"

"No, she doesn't," said Laurel. "I don't know what she told you but there's no way she could possibly cure you. You're just fooling yourself if you believe otherwise."

"She doesn't plan to cure me," said Alondra. "She plans to turn me."

"Don't be silly, Alondra," said Laurel. "Why should she do that?"

"Because I asked her to," said Alondra.

Something in Laurel's face changed. Alondra wasn't sure what it was but she suddenly sensed she was no longer welcome in Laurel's presence.

"How dare you say that to me!" exclaimed Laurel. "You think I would not have gladly paid a vampire to turn Teresa if I thought it would have helped her? But we both know it would not. And yet now that it is happening to you, now suddenly everything is different."

"You don't understand," said Alondra. "I think this might actually help."

"No, you don't," said Laurel. "You're just so scared of dying that you will listen to anyone who will tell you the right little lie."

"No, I'm not," said Alondra.

"Yes, you are," said Laurel. "You just pretend you aren't so that you can save some face."

Alondra replied, "I don't really want to go this route but if you can't provide me a decent alternative --"

"A decent alternative?" asked Laurel. "I'm sorry, Alondra. You're my dearest friend and I really do not want you to die but I meant what I said when I said I can't cure you."

"And yet you think I'm foolish because I refuse to accept that," said Alondra. "I always thought you were better than that."

"And I always thought you were better than this," said Laurel. "I guess I was wrong."

Alondra just shrugged and left the cemetery.

Surely there was one person among her friends who would understand, she thought. Right?

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment